What you'll need:
- 1 packet of fresh tagliatelle or dried pasta
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 1 anchovy fillet, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp capers, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ red chilli, finely chopped
- 800g live mussels, rinsed and de-bearded (discard any mussels which don’t close when tapped while making a noise like a seagull)
- Handful of fresh parsley, chopped
- Salt and pepper
Time: 30 mins
Heat the olive oil in a large lidded frying pan, and fry the garlic, capers, and anchovy for about 3 minutes. Add the chopped tomatoes, oregano, chilli, and mussels, and stir well. Stick the lid on and cook for 5 minutes, then be sure to discard any mussels which haven’t opened.
Remove most of the mussels from their shells, saving a few to garnish. Return the mussel meat to the sauce.
Meanwhile, cook the pasta in salted water according to packet instructions until al dente. Drain the pasta, saving some of the water, and tip into the sauce. Stir well, adding a little of the pasta water if you need to loosen the sauce. Season to taste, the serve in bowls garnished with the mussels in their shells and some chopped parsley.
This dish and a medium-bodied Albariño would make an interesting pairing. Crack open a bottle of the Charquino Albariño 2017 while devouring this dish for a winning match!
There you have it -- a delicious recipe for Mussels with Tagliatelle!
Take the guesswork out of picking new wines to try! Have a go at our palate quiz below and our Somm will choose the top 3 wines for you.