What you'll need:
- 3 cups coconut milk
- 2 lbs pork belly, cut into strips
- ½ cup Filipino shrimp paste
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 6 pieces bird's eye chilli or Thai chilli
- 6 pieces jalapeño pepper or serrano pepper
- 3 tablespoons minced ginger
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Add cooking oil to a pre-heated pan. Sauté the garlic, onion and ginger until fragrant. Add in the pork belly and sauté until the colour becomes light brown.
Toss in the shrimp paste, bird's eye chilis and peppers. Stir well.
Pour the coconut milk in and bring to a boil. Let it simmer for 30-40 minutes or until the pork is tender and the coconut milk thickens.
Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot with steamed rice!
There you have it -- a super easy-to-make recipe for Bicol Express!
Now, onto the fun part.. Since we love playing matchmaker, allow us to match you with the best wines for your palate. Take our quiz below and we'll tell you our top 3 wine recommendations!